Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A birthday cake to remember

I made my son's 1st birthday cake. Not just some simple cake, but a 3 tier cake. Momma had to get fancy! I'd like to know why I didn't agree with my husband that I should purchase a cake since I'm still trying to recover days later. I know why, of course, it's because it was for my baby. There's something in knowing that you can look back in pictures with pride that you were on a total suicide mission to make your babies 1st bday something really special. Many have questioned my sanity folks. With working full time, moms club, Scentsy and cleaning, I can't believe I survived! I'm grateful my husband and mother were able to help.
Ash LOVES Yo Gabba Gabba so naturally, that was the theme. I opted for devils food cake with a raspberry buttercream and marshmallow fondant. I'm not sure if any of you have tried that "stuff" they try to pass off as frosting on cakes called fondant. It's awful. Let's just eat some glue everyone! How can bakeries sell this on their cakes?! How can people serve that nastiness?! Marshmallow fondant; totally the way to go even if it is more work. You can find lots of recipes online or I'd be happy to share mine. Just get regular food coloring. The gel ones work the best and give more vibrant colors. Mix well. If you have a stand mixer....now is the time to put that dough hook in! Save your hands!

After baking the cake and letting it cool, I sliced, put buttercream in middle and then placed top piece back on. Then I put a thin layer or buttercream all along the outside of cake to hold in all the crumbs and placed in the fridge with cling wrap. Don't forget to put cake boards under your cakes. It helps with the support and makes it easier to move for decorating.

I dusted a pie crust mat with powdered sugar and rolled out my fondant, flipping occasionally. I then covered my cake trying to keep my fondant as smooth as possible and then cutting off the excess along the bottom.

I rolled out my other colors and just cut according to size of my cake for the eyes and eyebrows. At this point my fondant was starting to crack. I should have added a little water to help it, but really I was on 5 hours sleep, a pot of coffee and a dream. Not too shabby I think. Royal icing works fabulously for keeping things stuck to your cake. I'd hate to have a random eyeball on the floor later! I covered again with cling wrap and placed back in the fridge.

I keep on moving from color to color as quick as I could. And then the red came......The biggest tier a total mess. No matter what I did, that stinkin' fondant would not stop cracking! I really did try my best with it. It certainly isn't my best work, but I did put my heart in it. I made sure I put dowels into the cakes for my support and there you have it! Muno, Plex and Brobee! My son loved it and that just made all that effort worth it. Maybe next year it'll be cupcakes. I need to remember this so that I'm not trying to stick fireworks or something in a cake next year for him!

3 comments:

  1. Trust me. Store bought cake is not as special as your homemade masterpiece!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out great! You're def a super mom! ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete