Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Salted Caramel Frosting


This frosting is my new favorite frosting. I have no shame in taking a spoon to a bowlful of it! This goes great on whatever kind of cake you like, especially chocolate. Yum!!

Salted Caramel Frosting:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream, or as needed
1 pinch salt
3/4 cup salted butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

To make caramel, Place the brown sugar, 1/2 cup margarine, corn syrup, and vanilla into a large saucepan over medium heat, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes; remove from heat and allow to cool to warm (not hot) temperature. Add the cream, a little at a time, until the caramel has the consistency of honey. Mix in the pinch of salt, and allow to cool to room temperature.
Beat the salted butter with confectioners' sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture is fluffy; slowly add and beat in the caramel, a tablespoon at a time, beating until the frosting is smooth.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I'm so going to have to try this.

    Send me your marshmallow fondant recipe. Davy's birthday is in August, and I've completely picked a cake that is way out of my comfort zone. But, he, like Ash, is totally worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how exciting! I can't wait to see it!!! Recipe is up for you my dear. Let me know if you have any questions.

      Delete