Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chocolate Lollipops

I found my love of making chocolate pieces nearly 2 years ago when making a Spongebob Squarepants cake for my sisters birthday. On top of the crabby patty cake was a giant chocolate Spongebob. It was rather intimidating, but I was excited for the challenge.
Though I have not done a big piece like this since, I have made quite a few smaller ones for baby showers and such. A friend of mine really loved the baby shower chocolates and asked me about making chocolate lollipops for her wedding. Of course I am all too happy to do it! Congratulations Sharmaine & Michael!
Chocolate is not hard to work with, but it is very time consuming. Start by making sure all of your molds are scrubbed clean and completely dry. Just a little droplet of water can cause indents in your chocolate. Sometimes, it can still happen, but it reduces your chance.
Melt your chocolate & add to mold until about 1/2 full. If you are doing lollipops then add chocolate to the top portion of the stick portion of the mold. Place the lollipop stick in the mold making sure that a good part of it will go through the backing of the lollipop for good support. Completely cover the stick and finish filling the mold. Smooth out the back as much as possible with a mini spatula.
Let chocolate sit until completely cooled and mold is set. Then you can pop out the piece onto wax paper. You'll be able to use a paring knife to cut off some of the excess chocolate & give it a more finished look.
Once that is done then your chocolate pieces are ready for delivery! I prefer to use bags with a string of ribbon for a better look. I am so glad that Sharmaine, Michael & family are pleased with these chocolate wedding cakes!

2 comments:

  1. We greatly appreciate it Nikki! Everyone keeps trying to eat them all before the wedding!

    ReplyDelete